Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Constructivism in Practice


I am somewhat discouraged as I begin this blog post.  Last year I taught eighth grade in a sixty day rotation, with five teaching classes and one seminar class per day. During seminar students went to teachers as needed.  Today I teach grades six-eight in a thirty day rotation with no seminars, which means if students need help in my class they either come before or after school.  This change caused some of the cognitive and constructionist learning activities that are involved in this week’s resources to be eliminated.  Two important activities that need to be reinstated in my classes are WebQuests and an Excel activity.

I feel that good essential questions can lend to students creating and testing hypotheses.  I am very fortunate that I am able to involve all six tasks that help students generate and test hypotheses in my seventh and eighth grade classes.  They are, system analysis, problem solving, historical investigation, invention, experimental inquiry and decision making (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007, p. 203).  Of those of you that are familiar with my classes you might be questioning historical investigation.  As students research other student’s projects they find that design changes involve trade-offs in design that affect the outcome.  There are different designs that produce the same solution, thus there is no agreed-upon resolution (Pitler et al., 2007, p. 203).

My classes are designed around problem-based learning, which involves cognitive and constructionist learning activities.  They involve some of the common characteristics in problem-based inquiry instructional models which are:
·         The activity is grounded in a general question about a problem that has multiple possible answers and methods of addressing the question
·         Learning is student-centered; the teacher acts as facilitator
·         Students work collaboratively toward addressing the general question
·         Learning is driven by the context of the problem and is not bound by an established curriculum  (Orey, 2011)

The students have the opportunity to work both individually and in groups when constructing their projects.  The basic steps are research, collaborate, design, construct, test and collect data, review data and decide if criteria were met. 

One of the first activities that were used in the past when transitioning from teacher to facilitator was a WebQuest.  The WebQuests involved open-ended questions that had multiple viewpoints or solutions as mentioned by Dr. Orey (Orey, 2011).  I basically addressed the essential questions and supplied multiple links on the internet where various answers could be located.  This is where the students took over the project.  Presently, students start researching at a class wiki where links and other information is provided.

Another activity used in the past was an Excel sheet.  We created one Excel sheet for the class.  Students entered data collected upon the completion of their project.  I pushed the buttons to create the graph.  We did not write hypotheses, however, the graph did show if the decisions they made were correct.  In the future I will ask them to write a hypothesis.  I realize our text states an Excel activity could be too much for classes (Pitler et al., 2007, p. 204); however, if a teacher is able to incorporate data into one Excel sheet it might be workable. 
 
I am presently reviewing my lessons for next year, looking for ways to modify and incorporate these two important activities that involve cognitive and constructionist learning.  Currently we are striving the last few days of each rotation to complete the project.


References

6 comments:

  1. Joe,
    I read that you are currently reviewing lessons for next school year; do you always start in March? I am just curious! I am also reviewing for next year, but I am doing so, because of the new Common Core State Standards. I have to start implanting them to the upcoming freshman. This will be the first class to be tested on the new standards. Did your state adopt these new standards? Changing my ways of teaching and incorporating new techniques is going to be fine by me, but I think some of the older teachers who are "stuck" in their ways are not going to like the change!
    I think your classroom could be a “model” for this Master’s course. You have such great ideas and you’re already doing the techniques we are reading about in class. Kudos to you Mr. Kuz!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mandie,

      Thank you for the very nice comment. I teach STEM in my room for all classes. I am reviewing my lessons because I want to. I am not getting extra curriculum pay. Last year I taught eighth grade in a sixty day rotation. I did that for four years and each year around this time I took a hard look at the activities and made changes to improve student learning. This year I am teaching six-eight grades in thirty day rotations. I presently teach safety and the proper use of tools and machines prior to the projects for all grades. Next year the seventh and eighth grades will need a review in this area. Two items I am implementing in seventh and eighth grades next year are students writing a hypothesis for the projects and returning the Excel activity.

      Whenever I read anything associated with teaching I look at the acknowledgements and references. I want to know if they are the people and organizations that will be hiring our students. The technology standards in Connecticut were approved in 2006. They started writing new ones over a year ago and still are not completed. By time they are done, in this field, they will be obsolete. In all honesty, I only look state standards to list in my lesson plans and write on the white board when needed. I always look at the ITEA standards and Partnership for 21st Century Skills sites when planning lessons and activities. I feel these two sites are better directed to a global education. I also cite these in my lesson plans. I worked for thirty years prior to teaching. I have an idea what employers are looking for. I feel there are a few people writing educational papers that miss what employers are looking for.

      Joe
      Reply

      Delete
  2. Mandi and Joe,
    It is so nice to see that I am not the only one who is thinking about next year already in March!! This is my third year teaching, and I wonder if I will ever do anything the same two years in a row?? I love that you are looking for ways to bring back the technology that seems to be missing in your class right now. I understand the feelings. It seems like there is so much that needs to be taught in such a short amount of time, it is hard to fit it all in and keep the technology piece going too! Your students are lucky to have such a dedicated teacher!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kristina,

      Thank you for the nice comments. All of my lessons are on a lesson template I received when attending school to become a teacher. On average they are a page long. I print out prior to the lesson and write comments the day of the lesson. I note what worked, any problems, and where I think I can improve next time. I am in thirty day rotations so I am able to try out soon after. Presently I am taking a hard look at next year. I have implemented some great things from our courses at Walden. The wiki is my favorite.

      Joe

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joe,

    Are you using a wiki in your room? I want to use one and I cannot figure out how to begin. How did you? I am thinking I may try this year so that I am ready next year. I am also thinking about next year.

    ReplyDelete