Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Cognitivism in Practice


The first thing that jumped out at me from this week’s resources is “5. Waiting briefly before accepting responses from students has the effect of increasing the depth of students’ answers” (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007, p. 74).  I am constantly asking students to pause and think for a moment; however, most times they do not.  I am finding that they either answer right away or don’t want to think.  I think this has much to do with video games.  Their brains are trained to make split second decisions.  When I ask them to stop and think, sometimes it is like pulling teeth for the answer. 
 
I constantly use clues and modeling throughout the lesson seeking student’s previous knowledge in order for them to formulate answers.  I list objectives and essential questions on the whiteboard that include Bloom’s higher-order thinking verbs.  

What I have not used is graphic organizers or concept maps as a learning tool.  I will be receiving a new group of students this Thursday and could implement a graphic organizer or concept map for the project in about two weeks.  I receive a new group of students every thirty days.  Advanced organizers help students focus their learning (Pitler et al., 2007, p. 73).  The students follow a diagram of the design process when designing and constructing their project.  I plan on designing a concept map with the diagram in the center and placing steps of the project around the diagram.  I will connect everything where appropriate for students to make visual relationships.  This will allow students to organize their information and allow students to see their thinking.  Graphic organizers and concept maps are visual/spatial, logical/mathematical tools that appeal to many learners for managing and organizing information (Gregory & Chapman, 2002, p. 87).

This cognitive tool will manage and limit the information and help convert from short term memory to long term memory as described by Dr. Orey (Laureate Education, Inc. 2011).  As the students utilize the concept map they will be addressing declarative and procedural information which is used in their long term memory (Laureate Education, Inc. 2011).  

Here is another source I came across when researching graphic organizers and concept maps that I found interesting, http://popplet.com/ .

I do not assign a great deal of homework because I find it a difficult teaching tool to implement properly.  This is for the simple reason that many students do not do it.  Out text states, “Parental involvement in doing homework should be kept to a minimum” (Pitler et al., 2007, p. 187).  Call me old fashion, but, I feel a parent or guardian should be involved with the students school work for better, if not another view, of understanding.  I find if I need to involve a parent when homework is not done two things usually happen, either it is done poorly or the parents do it.  If student’s grades are brought down because of incomplete homework, administrators question if our final grades truly reflect student's knowledge of the subject.  My reply is, “If they were on a job they would get fired if they did not do their required work.  One of our goals as teachers is to prepare them for the future”.  Do you agree or disagree with this?  What are your thoughts and what works for you?

References

6 comments:

  1. Joe,
    I completely agree with you about preparing our students for the future. Every time a student is late to school, I ask them if their boss would approve of the tardy. Every time they are absent from school, I ask them how many times they missed work. Every time they start rattling off excuses, I say to them...go ahead and try being late or even "skipping" work and see how long you keep that job. If they do attend school, most of them give 50-75%. What would a boss think of a partial work load being completed, if they completed it at all?
    Once you put it into a real-world setting, I think something clicks for them. I wish the ah-ha moment would embed into their minds and last for more than a few days! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mandie,

      I wish I could remember the percentage of students that did homework when I went to school. I will tell you one thing, most parents would not let us get away with it years ago! What do you think about our text saying to keep parental involvement to a minimum?

      Thanks for the reply,

      Joe

      Delete
  2. Joe,
    You're not alone in giving little homework because lack of completion. I find myself doing the same thing. I also find your "old school thinking" to be absolutely on the mark. Plain and simple we need parental support and that does not mean do the work for your child. I also like your stance of administrators asking the question, "does this grade truly reflect student's knowledge of the subject." Yes if we are dong our job correctly is does. We need to hold our students accountable just as they will be held accountable at any job in their future. I always relay the message that school is their job and yes they have to do work, even if they don't want to. I believe that it is very important that we hold our students accountable for their actions. And YES homework is a part of their actions! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Todd,

      The only comment I can make to you is, “You took the words right out of my mouth!”

      Thanks,

      Joe

      Delete
  3. Joe--

    What a GREAT question. I'm at a loss when it comes to homework. I think homework is absolutely important. If I play a sport, I practice outside of practice if I want to be really good. Students should be practicing what we teach them in class. I think it is an excellent reinforcer of knowledge. I remember doing homework in math every night. I had to practice to become better. I teach high school. Parents (here) don't get involved with homework. In fact, I can't tell you how many times I've heard "Well I ask him/her if he/she has homework, but he/she never does!" (LIES!) I still assign homework. I ABSOLUTELY agree with you--they need to be responsible. If we're supposed to be teaching them "life skills" as well, then their grade should reflect their amount of responsibility. If my grades were low, it was my own fault. Likewise, if students do not do what they're supposed to, if they don't practice, if they don't study, etc.-their grades are going to be low. We can't force them to work. We can't do the work for them. But with everything in life, there are consequences.

    I'm interested to know--do you all give homework or does everyone just avoid it since kids oftentimes don't do it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Whitney,

      Teachers do give homework in our school, the amount differs. I give one homework assignment a week. Some are as simple as students locating information about the project on the internet and e-mailing me the link so I can post on our wiki. I am the only member for our class wiki, I don’t want the headache of students posting something inappropriate. Other homework assignments are technology current events. I feel that it is important the students be informed as to what is going on. I do supply various sites for the students to locate technology current events.

      I totally agree with you about sports. I played sports in high school and I was always practicing so that I could remain on the starting team. I wonder if could work this angle to the students.

      Thank You,

      Joe

      Delete