Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Behaviorism in Practice


I think that behaviorism will always be practiced in the school system.  I have noticed a difference in how it is applied from past years.  As I recall, during the 1960s and early 1970s while I attended grade school, the negative consequences were stressed more than the positive reinforcements.  We weren’t rewarded for good grades and behavior, it was understood that you could not attend school functions or participate in activities unless you obeyed the rules and earned the minimum grade requirements.

Vestiges of the behaviorist theory thought that students could learn in the same manor, teaching and testing from the text.  For example, many math applications can be manipulated using algorithms to obtain the correct answers.  A teacher did not know if the student who gave the correct answer actually understood the concept.  It was found that a number of high school students still could not add and subtract fractions and this demonstrated that the behaviorist strategy was flawed (Gagnon Jr. & Collay, 2001, p. 24).

I find when using a diverse number of teaching strategies along with behaviorism learning theories work well in my classes.  I agree with Dr. Orey, that behaviorism is practiced in today’s classroom using operant conditioning.  The two main components of operant conditioning are, reinforcement of desirable behaviors, and punishment of undesirable behaviors (Laureate Education, Inc. 2011).
 
I have two basic punishments in my classroom and they work well.  The first relates to school work and grades.  If a student’s work is incomplete or grades are bad, I first discuss with the student and set up a solution between us, and if that fails I e-mail or call home.  If there is a behavior problem I give the students three options, they can behave and remain in the class, sit in a time out desk and cool off, usually without a consequence unless it continues, or immediately leave the room and receive a consequence. The student is allowed to make the choice, thus if there is a consequence they have nobody to blame but themselves. 

I try to use, whenever possible, positive reinforcement of desirable behaviors with all instructional strategies. I find using the behaviorism theory in a positive fashion works great in the grade levels I teach, 6-8.  Students enjoy positive reinforcements such as stamping their papers or placing stickers on them.  Many students keep modifying their work until they get that sticker or stamp on their paper and I love it.  When students complete their work correctly and time permits, they are allowed to play educational games, which I have previously approved, on the laptops.  Positive reinforcement creates an atmosphere where we all want to work harder, even me.  Who doesn’t want to be rewarded for their hard effort?  

I feel that the old concept of the behavior theory, the teaching strategy used years ago, does not give the teacher the opportunity to find out if a student understands the concept at hand.  I believe when using behaviorist learning theories as a stimulus, along with teaching strategies that address the student’s learning styles and multiple intelligences, works well. 

References
Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2011). Program four: Behaviorist learning theory [Video webcast]. Bridging learning theory, instruction and technology. Retrieved from http://laureate.ecollege.com/ec/crs/default.learn?CourseID=5700267&CPURL=laureate.ecollege.com&Survey=1&47=2594577&ClientNodeID=984650&coursenav=0&bhcp=1

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Behaviorism Punishment To An Extreme

    I wanted to hold off one day to post these links due to a meeting that was held Wednesday evening March 7, 2012. There has been an ongoing issue in a neighboring school district that concerns behaviorism punishments to an extreme. There have been other issues that lead up to the decision made, this was the “icing on the cake”. Please look at the dates and see how quickly a decision was made.


    March 5, 2012

    http://www.ctnow.com/news/connecticut/middlesex/hc-middletown-farm-hill-0306-20120305,0,4226281.story


    March 6, 2012

    http://www.ctnow.com/news/connecticut/middlesex/hc-middletown-superintendent-buyout-0307-20120306,0,3450979.story


    March 7, 2012 10:08 PM EST

    http://middletownpress.com/articles/2012/03/07/news/doc4f57f80f4c371175699639.txt


    Joe Kuziak

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe,

    I like how you started off by noting that behaviorism will always be practiced in school systems. I believe this approach a necessity in my classroom when dealing with classroom management. Our students need to be held accountable for their actions and reinforcement and punishment are two great strategies to implement.
    Another point that I found myself nodding along with in agreement as I read, was your approaches to punishment. I like how you handle grades with discussing a strategy first with the student and if that does not work then contacting home via e-mail or phone call. I have found this an effective strategy as well. Just as an idea I always have the student write out the new strategy and file it away so I have record keeping of our intervention.
    My favorite comment in your post was the idea of "Who does't like to be rewarded for their hard efforts." Everyone loves to be praised no matter how young or old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel that when we give the students the opportunity to make a decision that will directly impact them we are preparing them for the future. I don’t understand why students still refuse to do the homework. In the end they do the work after I contact home and usually with another consequence form home.

      Joe

      Delete
  4. Your strategies that are used in your 6th-8th grade classrooms are also ones I use in my alternative high school math classes. The positive reinforcement I give to my students, always works out well for me. They love seeing smiley faces and encouraging words on the top of their papers! I have also found out that grading in any color, BUT red ink seems to help keep the positivity inside my classroom. These students have seen way too much negative in their lives. A little ray of sunshine and a big smile could brighten anyone's day! Keep up the great work, Joe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mandie,

      I have heard that before, about using red ink, and I seem to recall someone telling me they are not allowed to use red ink. I think I will buy a purple pen the next time I am shopping. I will let you know what the student’s comments are.

      Joe

      Delete